Monday, December 20, 2010

Special Dinners With Free Food

Since I started this blog right before the holiday madness encored, I'm worried I might not be able to update it as much as I would like in the next week or so. Jake and I are headed home to Richmond for Christmas celebrations tomorrow afternoon where luckily both our families live less then a few miles apart! We met at Virginia Tech and had no idea we lived so close to each other.

Anyways, I wanted to try to squeeze in one more post before we left. My previous job as a political media buyer and planner had some awesome perks - one of which was my clients sending me some great cuts of fillet mignon. Jake was having a tough Monday so I decided to whip up his all time favorite dinner which, lucky for me and my wallet, was fillet mignon with roasted asparagus.
This dinner was easy and quick to make, yet tasted very elegant. Needless to say, Jake's Monday got better.

Recipe:
2 Fillet Mignons
Olive Oil
Salt and Pepper
Garlic Powder
2 Tbs Butter
1/2 Tbs of Chives
1/2 Tbs of Parsley
1 pound Asparagus

After the fillets were defrosted and dried, I rubbed them with some olive oil and seasoned both sides with salt, pepper, and garlic powder. I then seared them in a pan over medium heat to brown the top and bottom. They were finished off in the oven at 350 degrees for 6-8 minutes.

While they baked, I made a quick herb butter. I took 2 tbs of room temperature butter and mixed it with garlic powder, salt, pepper, chives, and parsley.

Once the fillets are removed from oven, plate and serve with a scoop of herb butter on top.

As for the sides, I made roasted asparagus with hollandase sauce and mashed potatoes. For the roasted asparagus, I tossed them in olive oil, arranged them on a baking sheet, and sprinkled with salt and pepper. Broil them for 15 minutes or until they look crisp.

Not going to lie, I used packaged mashed potatoes and a mix for the hollandaise sauce..  Don't judge me.

Jake's Take: Loved this meal and thought he was being treated to a restaurant night. What man doesn't love meat and potatoes?? Thought the herb butter gave the meat a very luxurious taste. He also ate my left overs which I still have mixed feelings about...

No comments:

Post a Comment