Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Home Made Marinara Sauce

I have always wanted to try to make marinara sauce from scratch. I don't know if it's the Italian in me or my super pickyness when it comes to marinara sauce - but this is a sauce I feel like I should master. During my lunch break I bought some fresh tomatoes, onions, and what I thought was garlic....

Has the shape of garlic and the store labeling of garlic...
But not garlic at all...
I swear it's staring at me saying (in a squeaky British accent for some reason..) "Ohhh nooo I'm an onion, not garlic silly.."

Sigh.. I told you all I was not a master chef...

After being humbled by my garlic failure, I returned to my marinara mission. I had some dried minced garlic and garlic powder that would just have to do. I prefer marinara sauces that taste light, slightly spicy, and aren't chunky.


Recipe:
5 tomatoes deseeded and chopped
1/2 yellow onion chopped
2 cloves of garlic minced
10 basil leaves chopped
1/4 cup white wine
4 tbs olive oil
1tbs dried oregano
1 tbs salt
1/2 tbs pepper
1/2 tbs cayenne pepper powder
1/2 tbs garlic powder
1 tbs dried parsley

Heat oil in a pot over medium heat until hot. Reduce heat to medium low. Add onions and garlic and cook until onions are translucent and soft (about 7-10 minutes). Add wine to deglaze bottom of pot. Add tomatoes and basil. Let simmer for a few minutes. Take a hand blender and blend until no big chunks can be seen. Make sure to wear long sleeves and an apron since this can get messy. (There will be less of a splash if you keep the hand blender submerged the whole time.) Add remaining ingredients and stir. Add more or less of the spices depending on your taste. Let simmer for 10 minutes. Makes about 4-6 servings. 



While I really like how the sauce turned out, I'm going to tweak this recipe slightly. (i.e. remove tomato skins, add tomato paste, and try roasting the garlic and tomatoes). Hopefully I can do this in the next week or so and update the recipe :)

2 comments:

  1. I also love mastering marinara sauces. I like the hue of your sauce! I really like basil, but have never added it to a marinara. Maybe in fear of creating more of a pesto sauce? I really like the idea of adding 10 basil leaves. I love adding wine to sauces as well. I bought a shallot once thinking it was garlic, too. Luckily Daren loves all onions, so I was able to do something with it. It is cool you can grocery shop on your lunch break! I will for sure stop by this recipe when I am making my next marinara. I am sure the garlic powder worked perfectly! -krystal

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! The basil and wine really give it a nice light and fresh taste. I'm glad I'm not the only one who mixes up their produce sometimes.. I know I'm going to tweak this recipe a few more times so let me know if you ever have any suggestions!

    ReplyDelete