Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Treadmill Tips (because it's January and freezing outside...)

The treadmill is never my first choice when it comes to running but since it's January (i.e. freezing outside and dark by the time I get home from work) it often becomes a must if I want to run at all. The treadmill is good for three things:

1.) It can be safer then running outside.
2.) You can run on it no matter the weather.
3.) It can improve your pace and running time.

There are a few things that can make your time on the treadmill more enjoyable.
  • Entertainment. Listening to music, watching a TV show, or looking through a magazine will make your treadmill time go by so much faster and make the run easier.
  • Vary your pace. Changing your pace every few minutes will help mix up and break up your run. It's a lot easier to tackle 2 or 3 minutes at a time then run at a steady pace for a long period of time.
  • Don't look down! Or cover your time panel with a magazine or towel. Watching your time go by while running is a death sentence to your run. I'm convinced time as we know it actually slows down when I look at the treadmill timer... 
  • Run next to someone. Ok this maybe awkward and unadvisable if your gym is empty. BUT if your gym is semi full and it wouldn't be weird to grab the treadmill next to one of the other runners - DO IT. I don't know why, but running near others sometimes helps keep you motivated. If you get bored you can also try to outrun or "race" the person next to you.
I will leave you with one safety tip I learned the hard way. Last winter I was walking towards an empty treadmill while staring down at my ipod. I proceeded to step on the treadmill unaware that someone had left the machine on full speed. I went flying across the gym and was lucky enough to have the cutest trainer there witness my utube worthy tumble and help me up... After receiving pity looks from everyone in the gym for the remainder of my work out, I learned that it is important to be aware of your surroundings and be alert while in the gym. That means not staring down at your ipod while walking around the gym and and getting on machines.

Enjoy your next treadmill run!

1 comment:

  1. You appetite to accumulate in apperception that what feels appropriate to you may not feel appropriate to others in your domiciliary who plan to use it to. Treadmills India

    ReplyDelete